National Honor Society
Collins-Maxwell Community School District
Board of Education
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
6:30 – Work Session
Library, Collins-Maxwell MS/HS, Maxwell, IA
Call to order, roll call, acknowledge quorum.
Work Session – Facility Planning
Important Dates coming up:
February 19- CM Booster Club Mtg. Commons 6 pm
February 20 & 22- Iowa Assessments for 6th-11th students
February 22- CM Board Mtg. 6:30 pm
February 23- There IS school today- Make up school day for the snow day on January 11th
March 20 & 22- Parent Teacher Conferences
1. **** Collins-Maxwell Athletic Booster Meeting Reminder ***
Date: 02/19/2018 Monday Time: 6:00PM Where: Maxwell Commons
We will be discussing our upcoming fundraisers so we hope to see you there!
2. Collins Maxwell is participating in the North Story Baseball League this year! This program is for boys ages 9-12 (3-4 or 5-6 grades). Players will be placed on teams coached by volunteer parents. The league will play by Little League rules, play a 12-14 regular season game schedule, a season ending tournament, and have an All Stars component. To register, your child to participate, please go to the following website http://www.centraliowarecleague.org/northstory and click on online registration. The fee to participate is $70.00. This fee includes a jersey and hat for all participants. Participants must provide their own pants and belt (color to be determined by the volunteer coach once teams are finalized). Please consider volunteering as parents are needed to help coach! Registration Deadline is Monday February 19!
3. Any 8th-12th softball players there will be a short meeting after school in the large gym with Bryce Caple to talk about spring activities and there will be an open gym today after school and Thursday after school.
4. Final Washington D.C. student trip meeting: Tuesday, Feb. 20, 6 PM in the media center.
5. High School Girls track practice will begin Monday, February 26th right after school. It's not too late to get signed up. Chat with Coach Meinerts or Coach Stover if you didn't sign up but are interested in participating this season.
Only 8 days left to order your new Spartan Gear! Chat with a MS or HS track athlete to see the catalog and get your order in. Athletes keep selling!
6. There will be a meeting for the 2019 Music Department Trip to Florida on Tuesday, February 27 at 6:30 in the Choir Room.
If you are not currently in Band or Choir, but will be in HS and are considering joining next year, see Mr. Bjorklund or Ms. Pfeiler.
7. Open gym for all HS boys and girls soccer athletes will be held from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Collins-Maxwell Elementary School in Collins on Wednesday Feb 21, 28, and March 7,14. Bring a soccer ball and wear appropriate indoor shoes.
8. The Music Department has started selling Butterbraids! All of your favorites are back, plus a new 4 Cheese and Garlic. Orders are due February 20th to Ms. Pfeiler or Mr. Bjorklund. Butter braids will be delivered to the Band room at 1:00 on March 7th, just in time for Easter Brunch! See a Band or Choir student to get yours ordered!
4-5 Music/ 5th Grade Band
6-12 Instrumental Music
Collins-Maxwell Middle/High School
9. SGT Necker from the Marines will be here Monday during HS lunch. Please stop and visit with him if interested.
10. STUDENT AMBASSADOR'S MEETING
WEDNESDAY FEB. 21ST
1:15 - 1:45PM IN MS. ROBINSON'S ROOM
*****If you need to ride the bus to Collins, do that!! We will catch you up!******
11. The Collins Elementary school carnival is Friday, February 23rd from 6-8. If students would like to earn silver cord hours please have them contact Kathie Smith via email.
Gophersmitty@hotmail.com Students would need to be at the elementary from 5:30-8:30.
12. Enjoy an evening of music and dining on March 9th with the MS/HS Music Department. Tickets will go on sale February 19th and can be purchased in the MS/HS Office. Please make checks payable to Collins-Maxwell Music Boosters. Doors will open at 5:45 pm, with the dinner beginning at 6 pm and performances to follow. Dinner tickets are $10, with bleacher seats for $5. The menu will be Pasta Buffet, Garlic Bread, Salad, Dessert and beverages.
13. SILVER CHORD HOURS OPPORTUNITY:
We are looking for any high school basketball player to help every Saturday morning from 9-11:30 5 Saturdays in March with the Pre-K and Kindergarten Spartan Hoops. All interested will meet with Ms. Robinson the week of Feb.19th to go over details and make plans/schedules. These kids look up to our Spartan Athletes! This is one of your chances to get them interested in athletics in a positive, fun way!
14. The high school student council is currently selling Collins-Maxwell Spartan themed lanyards for 6 dollars a piece in order to purchase water bottle filling stations that attach to the already installed water fountains. If interested, please talk to a student council member or see Mr. Smith.
15. ATTENTION ALL PROM ATTENDEES:
MILROY'S TUXEDO'S will be here
Thursday, March 15th during HS lunch
They will take measurements and orders for tuxedos for Prom!!!
They will deliver the tuxedos on Thursday before Prom AND you can drop them off at school on Sunday instead of driving to Ames!!
I also have coupons for $50 off!!!!! Stop in my room to pick your coupon up!
16. Let’s Do Our Best to Stay Healthy!
We are starting to see an increase in illness in the MS/HS. Please keep in mind washing your hands is the #1 way to stop the spread of germs. Please remember to wash your hands after you use the bathroom, blow your nose, and before you eat. Please also keep in mind it is best to keep your hands away from your face unless you have just washed your hands. This is the time of year there is a lot of illness to be shared, so let’s stops the spread of germs by washing our hands!
Just a reminder to keep your student home if they have the following symptoms: Fever (100.0 F or higher), vomiting or diarrhea within the last 24 hours, and/or red, mattery eye(s). The student needs to be fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medications (Tylenol/Ibuprofen). I will call you if I feel your student is not able to stay in school. Also remember if your child is going to miss school for more than 3 days for being sick then your student will need a doctors note to return to school. Please keep the offices updated on any phone number changes.
Let’s have a healthy rest of the school year, Nurse Jill
17. Drivers Education class in the spring with Street Smarts is available to sign up for. The dates, times, and registration can be found at streetsmartsdriversed.com.